As result of the consequent applications of three innovative steps:
1. the replacing of system of rotating levers (water wheel kinematic model) by one rocking symmetrical lever (or rocking beam) with two buckets on the opposite ends and with pivot in the centre of the beam;
2. the adding another symmetrical rocking lever (“feeding lever”), which is placed above of the main rocking beam in the kinematics of machine, for switching alternately the direction of input flowing mass as working medium;
3. the application of two symmetrical “mechanical feedback” crosses type by mechanical linkage for providing the periodical switching alternately the arms of main beam between low and high position (oscillating mode)
the original machine (as flowing mass powered prime mover) – Discrete Power Converter (DPC or Kornich machine) was invented (2000), designed and prototyped, and tested.
At the moment (2014) three models (prototypes) of DPC were built: small one before patent pending (was tested without any mechanical load, just for operating principle verification), the second one (1.2×1.2×0.25) m with capacity of bucket (1.5 – 2) liter was tested successively under mechanical load (two symmetrical piston air pumps for tire pumping), the third prototype (1.9×1.5×0.4) m is ready for the testing with natural source of falling (flowing) water. The demonstration model of DPC you can see now in the operation here.
It is possible now to formulate the basic distinctive features and useful functions of DPC as original prime mover which can be powered by flowing mass under gravity force action.
1. The various other (not only water) flowing masses (as sand, gravel, slurry and grain, granulated materials, etc) can be used a as working medium forced by gravity to input of DPC as original prime mover.
2. The potential energy that flowing masses which are located above (in the terms of “hydro head”) of DPC can be transformed simultaneously in two mechanical motions of DPCs constructional elements: the reciprocating motion of main beam (as rocking lever) in the vertical plane; and reversible rotation of main shaft (tied hardly with main beam) in the horizontal plane. Both of that elements can be loaded at the same time by some appropriate (in the terms of similarity of their motions) mechanical loads.
3. DPC can provide the discrete mode of operation, which means that periodical consequence of working strokes (as mechanical impulse) of the main beam may be generated with infra low frequency (as oscillating mode). Each period of operation consist of two time intervals: accumulation (storage) the potential energy of flowing mass into bucket in the high position of main beam; and converting that energy in the kinetic form by means of working stroke (as falling down of full bucket). The average output power of DPC machine can be moderate enough (because of low frequency of oscillating); however the pulse (stroke) power can be significant. That’s why the appropriate mechanical loads should be considered.
4. DPC is capable to multiply the gravity force of flowing mass in the bucket by law of lever (mechanical advantage) if the load is applied between fulcrum (main shaft) and bucket of lever’s arm (2 class lever). The multiplication can reach significant value depending on geometry of DPC machine.
5. DPC can use sources of potential energy (in terms of “hydro head”)with relatively low height (in compare to water wheel, for example h2 <h1) because it does not need full revolving of main beam (just rocking, see Fig.1).
6. In addition to power converting DPC can be used simultaneously as divider of input flow of any working medium (flowing mass) in two equal output flows accordingly to geometry of machine.
7. As useful function for education the demonstration of similarity hydraulic and electrical processes and basic physical laws can be considered. DPC machine can be used as adequate mechanical model of electronic relaxation generator (astable multivibrator).
8. Because of oscillating nature of operation of DPC the possibility to obtain some mechanical resonance effect could be investigated.